Monday, June 1, 2009

Reflection

I learned several things during the magazine project process. I learned that I could use several little tricks to make my writing better and to make my writing more substantial. While the critiquing process was going on I realized that I needed to make my article more urgent instead of full of boring facts. I learned a lot about editing too, I learned that I should pace myself and make sure I spend enough time on everyone’s paper so that I could give them well thought out critiques that they could use. I also learned to explain to them what they needed to fix instead of just giving them a paper that’s marked up. I made a lot of different drafts during the whole process.

At first I was going to use my photo essay but then I decided to write a whole new article based on what I learned at internship and how that opened my eyes to a very important topic. I used pictures from my photo essay because I thought that they effectively represented what I was trying to get across. I simply needed to know how to incorporate the pictures into my writing creatively. I believe that my layout put the two components together well. I learned that the publishing process was not an easy one. I’m glad that we had to weigh in different things and we ultimately selected the right choice. We decided to go with the local printer because we would be able to produce a better product and even though it wasn’t in color it gave us a chance to be creative.

After 11th grade I hope to stay with WiLDCOAST and continue my project with them. Our project at WiLDCOAST was bigger than making a chart, it was about changing something in the government and hopefully changing part of the culture in Mexico.

All of these things are important because it made me once again realize how important this topic is and what kind of affect it’s going to have on Mexico. It also helped with my writing. We made the right choice by choosing to make a magazine, I believe that everyone’s article is their best example of work so far.


No comments: